Organisations that can be accredited against the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) Standards for general practices 4th edition include general practices, medical deputising services, after-hours services, Aboriginal medical services and Royal Flying Doctor services. The Standards are developed and owned by the RACGP.
Practices that comply with the RACGP’s definition of a general practice or medical deputising service are eligible to register for accreditation.
General practice accreditation:
- Offers many benefits, including continuous quality improvement
- Is based on an on-site survey model of accreditation, and
- Is a three year cycle.
Benefits of general practice accreditation include:
Independent recognition that a practice has a high quality of care
- Reduced business risk
- Patient assurance that a high level of care is provided
- Building a culture of quality in the practice environment
- Developing staff skills and engaging the practice team in quality and improvement
- Increased recognition from insurance providers, and
- Eligibility to access financial incentives such as the – Practice Incentive Payment (PIP) from Medicare.
Practice Incentives Program (PIP)
Accredited practices are eligible for Medicare Practice Incentives Program (PIP). The PIP is aimed at supporting general practice activities that encourage continuing improvements, quality care, enhance capacity, and improve access and health outcomes for patients.
AGPAL General Practice Accreditation
Australian General Practice Accreditation Limited (AGPAL), part of the AGPAL Group of Companies, accredits general practices. AGPAL is a not-for-profit leading independent provider of accreditation services, approved by the industry to accredit practices against the RACGP Standards.
Practices accredited by QIP are encouraged to promote their achievement of accreditation through use of the Approved Accredited Symbol.
The AGPAL accreditation program is an industry mark of quality.
AGPAL can best support your practice on the accreditation journey
AGPAL provides general practices with a comprehensive accreditation program that supports to deliver quality and safe health care to patients. AGPAL supports practices with extraordinary accreditation support and resources, including:
- A dedicated Client Liaison Officer on hand to answer any questions your practice may have about accreditation
- Use of the AGPAL Accredited General Practice Symbol to promote your practice’s accredited status to patients
- Promotion of your practice’s accredited status on the AGPAL website through the ‘find an accredited practice’ tool
- Ongoing support from AGPAL to promote accreditation to the community
- Ongoing access to AccreditationPro, AGPAL’s web-based self-assessment tool
- Ongoing access to QbAY, AGPAL’s web-based library of information
- Access to a range of offerings through the AGPAL Client Benefits Guide
- Access to ongoing training and development
- Access to AGPAL publications including Quality News magazine and the AGPAL Assist e-bulletin, and
- Earn QI and CPD points for each General Practitioner participating in accreditation.
You are invited to contact AGPAL and learn how your general can become accredited.